Originally Posted By: Lana
Credit where credit is due.....Fair's Fair
Originally Posted By: JCrusher
IMO I think Roth figured that Mike knew he had tried to kill him. Roth had a backup plan ready just in case. Roth's weakness was probably his health that was obviously bad. His sickness probably made his judgment a little messy at the end. Its also important to remember that Mike had a whole crime family behind him and even though Roth had power and money he didn't have all the soldiers that Mike had in Nevada, NY, and Italy so Roth was probably at a disadvantage in that regard.
“Roth's been dying of the same heart attack for twenty years”
Roth was fine, even answering journalists' questions when he landed at Miami airport

Roth “brilliantly engineered” the bedroom shooting
It seems to me, whatever power, money, resources Roth had, were plenty – living in Miami, getting hit men from New York for Michael's contract murder, in highly secured [armed guards, dogs etc.] Tahoe compound - admittedly with insider help, shows Roth was at no disadvantage

The 'savage' looks Michael and Roth gave each other across the table, when the gold phone was being passed around in Havana - all bets are off!
Originally Posted By: JCrusher
Yes that was a smart move to bring in Frankie's brother BUT he would have never known if it wasn't for Fredo. If Fredo never told him about Questadt Mike would have been sitting in a jail cel. So again Mike was very smart, cunning, and ruthless BUT I still think he gets too much credit especially when it comes to his feud with Roth. Without luck and Fredo telling him about Questadt Mike would have lost easily
Michael already knew that Frankie Pentangeli was alive and arrangements would have already been in place to bring Frankie's brother, Vincenzo over, when Michael went to talk to Fredo

Fredo's “Questadt belongs to Roth” only reaffirmed how deeply Fredo was involved with Roth and Ola, against Michael

You think too much of Roth, kid He is not that clever!

I don't think too much of anybody....I say what I saw in the movie. Look I never said Mike was a idiot he is very smart and cunning. HOWEVER he just wasn't one step ahead of Roth as you think he was. I know you don't like it but Roth got the better of him the entire movie until the end...thats just a fact. Yes I understand Roth was talking to reporters BUT that doesn't mean he was completely healthy. yes I agree he probably made himself look weaker than he really was BUT he was still obviously old and sick.

Last edited by JCrusher; 10/25/17 07:46 AM.