Originally Posted By: Turnbull
Capone was called "Scarface" by the press, but not by anyone in his outfit who planned to see his next birthday. His close associates called him "Snorky," which was a contemporary term meaning "elegant." Murray "The Camel" Humphries, a Welshman in Capone's outfit, got that name because part of his last name is "hump."

Anthony "the Ant" Spilotro got that name from a cop who referred to him as a "pissant."

Abner "Longy" Zwillman, big-time NJ gangster, got that name because he attained his full height (6'2") when he was 13.

Carmine Galante was known as "Lilo" because he was always smoking a cigar. "Lilo" is Italian slang for cigar.

Some Gambinos referred to Aniello Dellacroce as "the Polack," but I never read an explanation. Perhaps someone here knows why?

Matty "The Horse" Ianniello got that moniker because. as a kid, he got into a fight with a much bigger guy during a baseball game and knocked him down.
The Detective who named the "ant" was Bill Roemer..not sure if I spelled name right,,anyways,he has written a few good books on the "Outfit"..died a few yrs. ago.

I didn't want to leave blood on your carpet...