In addition, Gus Alex's real mentor wasn't Jake Guzik nor Hymie Levine, but instead it was one less know gangster from the 1930's and early 40's era who went by the name of Malcolm Clarke. This guy handled all handbook and every kind of form on gambling operations around the Loop area for Guzik since the Capone days, and according to several reports,Clarke was the one who during the late 1930's taught Alex regarding the gambling racket.

Many Mob historians believe that Levine was in fact Alex's real mentor but that's not true since during the early 1940's Alex already established him self as a gambling operator by owning his personal gambling establishment and also had interests in several other. I haven't recently checked Levine's prison record by I believe that he had many legal problems during the late 1930's. I believe that the confusion comes when in 1948, Levine suffered a stroke which left him paralyzed for the rest of his life and at the same time, Malcolm Clarke retired to California, which left Alex as Guzik's number two guy or right-hand man

He who can never endure the bad will never see the good