Originally Posted By: Toodoped
Originally Posted By: AntSamuel
This is a question for Toodoped or anyother experts on the Chicago outfit.How did Tony Accardo leap frog Tony Capiezo when they joined the outfit especially since Capiezo was older and outranked him when they were both in the circus cafe gang?

Thats one helluva question which brings out the most confusing time period 1930s regarding the Outfits hirearchy. Both Capezio and Accardo belonged to the Elmwood Park crew and I personally believe that neither of them were at the top of the group during that decade. It couldve been someone else such as Frank Maritote or maybe even Vincent Benevento or possibly even Lawrence Mangano, the so-called king of the west side and onetime capo of Taylor St since the Outfit was known for sharing many territories. But Im positive that during the 1940s when Maritote went to jail and Mangano got himself killed, C Fischetti (top boss of a ruling panel at the time) and Capezio (member of that same ruling panel) groomed Accardo for the top position. How that happened I really cant tell. Maybe Accardo was more of a business type rather than Capezio or maybe the oldtimer wanted to stay in the shadows. Im.not sure if you kow this but I personally believe that during the early 50s or after the meat scandal, Capezio replaced Accardo as chief executive under Campagna and Ricca

Capezio was an enforcer, while Accardo was an earner and leader. That's how Accardo leap-frogged him. Capezio was in charge of the Outfit's hits and enforcement wings even into the 1950s before his death in 55.