I have been a fan of Bruce Springsteen's music since 1984, when I was in my early teens and he released his commercial breakthrough Born in the U.S.A.

When his autobiography was announced, I was not that interested in buying it. Not because of the topic, but I thought that I knew his story. Well, I was wrong. This book really enlightened me.

For example, prior to reading Born to Run, I had thought of his wife as nothing more than a modern day version of Yoko Ono. I thought she was responsible for breaking up the E Street Band in 1989 and that she was a homewrecker. It turns out that Patti is the best thing to ever have happened to Springsteen.

While he had long ago admitted to seeing a shrink, I never knew about the crippling depression he suffered at various phases of his life. I knew that Bruce's relationship with his father was strained growing up (not that uncommon). However, I never knew that his father has severe mental issues that went untreated until Bruce was in his 30s.

There are plenty of funny anecdotes, honest revelations, and insight that are discussed. Most of the chapters or sections are short, so it is easy to follow.

As an added bonus, I got to meet Springsteen last November when he was doing a book tour. I was able to shake the man's hand and get a picture with him, something I will never forget. I also rec'd an autographed copy of Born to Run.