Do you think the consigliere position has lost a lot of its value, especially in the last 30 years or so? It used to be the consigliere was the one who was supposed to advise the boss, solve inter-family disputes, etc. Supposedly the consigliere should look legit, be able to mix with the politicians, judges, etc.. but I can't think of any occasion of that happening in the last 30, 40 years or so. It seems the consigliere is just the "number 3 man" and nothing more.

-Carmine Sessa, deeply involved in the Colombo was, going out on hits and eventually turning informant.

-John Gotti about Joe N. Gallo. The consigliere is supposed to be chosen by the majority of the capos, but John said he could as well drop every capo and put his friends temporarily as capos just so he can remove Joe N. Gallo, and then put back the old capos. So it's just a technicality. I don't think that's even done anymore. In Philly or other cities I don't think the boss cares about this and he just appoints the underboss and consigliere however and whoever he pleases.

During Phil Testa's reign Nick Scarfo was put as consigliere which is ridiculous. Not fit at all for such a position, very hot-headed and not really the voice of reason in the Philly family. When he became boss, Nick did not even want a consigliere. After Frank Monte got killed, the place was vacant for a long while until he decided to put his cousin Piccolo, who was semi-retired, and it's doubtful Nick consulted with him even once during his reign.
Gaspipe Casso served as consigliere for a while, imagine that. So did Sammy Gravano, although I think he's a bit more fit for that role, compared to Gas. During Vic & Gas's reign I'm not sure the Luccheses even had an official consigliere after Christie Tic went away.

Is the consigliere's role basically lost nowadays? Is he nothing more than just the "number 3 man"?

-I shot him a coupla' times.
-What's a couple?
-Hmm, more than a couple... Really I don't know the exact amount, maybe I shot him 10 times, 12 times?
-Maybe fifteen?
-Hmm, it could've been fifteen...

-Anthony "Gaspipe" Casso