Originally Posted By: antimafia
Originally Posted By: Ciment
Originally Posted By: antimafia
Below is a link to a PDF of CECO's 1976 report La lutte au crime organisé au Québec : Commission de police du Québec : rapport d'enquête sur le crime organisé et recommandations. "CECO" was the initialism for Commission d'enquête sur le crime organisé, which was established in 1972. The English name for CECO was "Commission of Inquiry on Organized Crime." This PDF is 419 pages; the file size is 37.5 MB.

https://www.ceic.gouv.qc.ca/fileadmin/Fichiers_client/centre_documentaire/CEIC-R-2401.pdf

Should I ever find a PDF of the English-language counterpart report -- The fight against organized crime in Québec: Québec Police Commission: report of the Commission of Inquiry on Organized Crime and Recommendations -- I will post a link in this thread.

For those of you who, like me, can muddle through French and are interested in the discussion in the 1970s about whether the Montreal Mafia / Cotroni-Violi organization was its own distinct "family," look at the report pages 97–109 of the file (look at the report pages, not the PDF page number). You might also consider some of the information in those pages to be support for the argument that Paolo Violi and Nick Rizzuto Sr. were members of the Bonanno Family in New York, not members of the 'ndrangheta and Sicilian Cosa Nostra respectively.

I agree that they were members of the Bonanno family and there is no dispute about that but I also believe they were members of the Ndrangheta and Sicilian mafia respectively.

I don't think each was simultaneously a made member in two secret societies. Assuming that both were made in Italy--and that in itself is a very big assumption--they would have required permission to transfer to the Bonanno Family.

Violi and Rizzuto Sr. were some of the most well-connected Canadian mafiosi ever; so while I think that they were inducted into the Bonanno Family at some point after arriving and settling in Canada, we also know that their careers were enhanced by very important respective connections to the 'ndrangheta and Sicilian Cosa Nostra.

This thread is as good a place as any to discuss whether dual membership exists or is possible, especially because the debate often comes up in relation to members of Canadian mafia groups.

I agree with you there have been previous discussion as to whether dual membership is even possible. Not to say either one of us is right or wrong. I am one of those who believes it exist.
All these Mafia/Ndrangheta families are always in constant competition with one another. It is inconceivable for one to leave a secret society in order to join another if not for a valid reason. Rizzuto sr. married into it and Paolo father was a capo in the hometown where they come from and married Luppino's daughter also a capo's daughter.
It is my belief that in both cases it was done for purpose of expanding their network. I also firmly believe that in both cases, although they were members of MTL mafia, their true loyalty lies with the secret society they originated from.

Last edited by Ciment; 08/17/17 03:49 PM.