They both became don's within a few years of one another. To me, the two of them marked the beginning of a change in lcn. They were both the complete opposites of their predecessors which their bared their families names. Gotti took over a rather stable family and Fucked it up. Scarfo took over a very unstable family which the two previous dons were assassinated. After he took over, his family thrived for a while until he was taken down. "You have to kill and keep killing...." or whatever Phil said scarfo said. I guess after all the violence one would become paranoid. Gotti should have relinquished his position to someone who would've been respected and not have been a hypocrite. Scarfo should have not put his son in charge. But what gets me, is all these guys now, from the 80's, and 90's. This ain't the turn of the century. Fuck that pyramid scheme, to Hell with jail, it can't be fun sneaking around from le and the irs, you can never trust anyone. There are plenty of careers that can give you a wonderful living if you put the time into. I bet more retired fbi and cops are enjoying their retirement years then the guys that spent their careers trying to evade them. Granted there are a few that retired well off.