Originally Posted By: olivant
Despite watching II any number of times, like you, I notice new things during every viewing and speculate about their meaning.

This time around I noticed that when Michael returns to the compound after Havana and during the Nevada winter, he stops in the snow and looks at the little motor car that Tom purchased for Anthony. Then he takes a long look at his bedroom and the formerly broken window glass from the attempted assassination. Then, of course, he takes another long look at Kay sewing. He then goes to Mama to ask about losing his family. All quite poignant.

Yes, quite poignant.

I didn't think the toy car rusting and Kay not looking up indicated any anger at Michael but rather the distance between him and his family.

I'm a father and a husband and when I'm away from home, everyone's excited when I get back. Michael is greeted by a rusted birthday gift; empty, silent rooms; and a wife who is totally unaware/uninterested that he's returned.

He sees that he has no real impact on his own family's life, which is why he asks Mama about losing his family.

"A man in my position cannot afford to be made to look ridiculous!"