Originally Posted By: Alfanosgirl

Did the young people protest when Alan Freed had to go off the air? He seemed to be such an important figure of that time period.

No. Here's the story:
Just before the House of Representatives adjourned for the T'giving/Xmas/New Year's break late in '59, the same subcommittee that investigated the quiz shows said it would investigate "payola" when the House reconvened in January, 1960. The New York DA, anxious to get in his dibs before Congress did, immediately brought charges of "commercial bribery" (payola) against Freed and several other NY-area DJs. But, by that time, doo wop was in a steep decline that had begun more than year ago as groups dissolved, kids got older and tastes changed. Murray "the K" Kaufman became the new NYC top DJ. Young people were satisfied with him. He did stage shows, too.

Quote:
I have a question for you and/or anyone else who wants to answer. Why do you think that doo wop songs have to always have the lyrics "I love you" in them? During that era did you have to tell a girl you loved her right away? Would the girls you date talk about getting married after a month of dating lol? It seems like it.

It was standard for the era, Alf--all the songs, including the bland "pop" songs and ballads of the time, had lyrics with moon/spoon, love/stars above, etc., because they couldn't be more explicit. No radio station would have played some of the songs we hear today wink

Speaking of ballads, here's one that Frankie Lymon and the Teenagers did. Really high-class stuff for that era:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-KOCYWKGwI

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.