Originally Posted By: getthesenets
Originally Posted By: goombah
I think Gilbert is from Detroit. I'm positive that LeBron being from here is the only reason he returned. Otherwise he would have stuck it to Gilbert in 2014.

Goombah,

I saw some type of webseries that Lebron shot in a barbershop...with his business associates(who Phil Jackson called a posse) and Draymond Green of all people. He said that his mother and his wife told him NOT to return to Cleveland because of the bush league antics that Gilbert pulled, but he wanted to go back and win there.

Like you pointed out about Billups not accepting the GM offer yet, the bad business practices that Gilbert uses are coming back to bite him. I don't recall a guy with no front office experience turning down or dragging his feet about a GM job offer.

Until you pointed it out, I didn't think about the coach turnover there either.I thought the David Blatt firing was a one off.Mike Brown coaches there twice? Reminds me of when George Steinbrenner would hire and fire manager Billy Martin as often as he changed his socks.

Are the sports reporters and media going after Gilbert hard? sports people in NYC metro area go hard after coaches,gms, owners and try to make them accountable at least.

That's funny you mention Steinbrenner. That's exactly what I thought of, although Mike Brown would have to be hired/fired a few more times.

Chris Broussard was on the local show this morning. He insists that Billups to the Cavs is a done deal, but that he's recruiting players since he's not officially under contract. I'm not sure I buy that, but it's an interesting possibility.

The local media seems to be anti-Gilbert by about a 65-35 margin. Most agree that the timing of firing Griffin (just before the draft and 2 weeks before FA begins) was poor. They also say that Gilbert does not value a GM.

Gilbert does get a pass for being the only Cleveland owner to win a title. But I've heard it said many times that if LeBron was not from here, Gilbert would be seen in a worse light than Browns owner Jimmy Haslam. I'm not sure that is even possible.