Quote:
Originally posted by long_lost_corleone:
[b]The King of Comedy (1983) - ***
Director: Martin Scorsese
An aspiring comic stalks his idol.

I can see what Scorsese means when he says he wasn't particularly proud of this one. Don't get me wrong, it was a fun film and on its own is an interesting piece--which is why I gave it three stars--but it fails to hold up against other Scorsese films, let alone a Scorsese/De Niro project, as they tend to work best together. If you're a true Scorsese fan, see it and even buy it for the hell of it. If you're just looking for a good time, go ahead an see it, but rent it first. If you're looking for that hugely inspiring Scorsese film, this isn't the one. I just had a hard time giving Scorsese less than three stars... But justly so, if you were to ignore Scorsese's other work, it deserves the three stars. [/b]
Quote:
Originally posted by Capo de La Cosa Nostra:
LLC, I rate The King of Comedy as Scorsese's most underrated work (After Hours comes a close second). A convincingly brilliant and disturbing view of the media today. It was a commercial and critical flop at the time; De Niro's best comedic performance, with only his role in Midnight Run coming close.
SPOILERSsorry but I just can't keep myself shut when it comes to my favorite movies... I believe The King of Comedy is not just Scorsese's most underrated film, but the most underrated flim of all time. these two genious minds (Scorsese and De Niro) have (and already had at 1983) came up with such great films, that sometimes another great one might be overshadowed. I just love the comedy-drama mix of this film. most scenes are funny to watch, but if you think about them, they mean much more. just like when De Niro hosts a show to a fake Liza Minelli in his basement, or when Jerry Lewis finds out the gun he was kidnapped under was a fake one. not only top-notch acting, these scenes give us also a perfect picture of how funny disgrace can be. I wouldn't say "The King of Comedy" is better than "Taxi Driver" and "Raging Bull", but it surely affected me more than these two masterpieces in the first viewing. in my personal list, "GoodFellas" would be Scorsese's #1, and then I'd have to break my mind to decide which classic would follow. I watched "Raging Bull" only once, and until I get a 2nd viewing, I'd say "The King..." is better.

"I'm just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick"
The Bunk