Originally Posted By: Zavattoni
Originally Posted By: Raven
yeah, at the time Anastasia was murdered he was.

I don't believe that's correct. I'm pretty sure Carlo was Anastasia's Underboss after the murder of Frank Scalise. Only for a few months though. Before then he was just a Captain.

Gambino was named Underboss in September of 1957, with strong support from Tommy Lucchese, Vito Genovese, and Joe the Blond who was the current Gambino family Consiglieri at the time before he was made Underboss after Anastasia was murdered.

Originally Posted By: OakAsFan
Originally Posted By: BillyBrizzi
Originally Posted By: Dwalin2011
By the way, while it made sense to whack Gambino, Lucchese, Magaddino, since they were national key figures, but why DeSimone? He was boss in Los Angeles, and that family was always one of the weakest. Why bother with him, or did Bonanno have some personal reasons?

Word was that he wanted to make his son Bill boss of the L.A. family, because there was lots of money to be made in California.

I'm not sure how much money there was in California. The two most powerful gangsters to operate in California were Bugsy Siegel and John Roselli, and they both ended up in Vegas. California's law enforcement community was just too tight knit. They closed all the doors to rackets in show business and things like that. Dragna family was mostly into vice and drugs. Mickey Cohen got out of the rackets and pretty much went legit late in life. The San Francisco and San Jose mobs were mostly legit by the 70's, making enough in olive oil and insurance to close their books and retire off.

There was still money to make, but by the late 1980's most of the bay area members were legit and did not need the headaches from LE.

"I have this Nightmare. I'm on 5th avenue watching the St. Patrick's Day parade and I have a coronary and nine thousand cops march happily over my body." Chief Sidney Green