Originally Posted By: Turnbull
I saw the Chantels many times at the Alan Freed shows in the Fifties. Arlene Smith, the lead singer, was, uh, a very well-developed teenager, and always performed in a tight white outfit, driving all the horny teenaged boys (like me) crazy. Her uncle, a very churchy-looking, upright man, played piano accompaniment for the group. He glared viciously at the boys in the audience.

The movie "Mean Streets" has a great doo-wop soundtrack. A pearly moment: Charlie (Harvey Keitel) is trying on a new, monogrammed shirt his mother bought for him, looking adoringly at himself in a mirror, and the Chantels are singing, "I Love You So." Brilliant!

lol lol So funny TB. Great story. Arlene Smith still sounds amazing.

The soundtrack has Deserie on it by The Charts which I never re-er-lized (inside joke) until I was watching the movie LAST YEAR. There are so many great songs in the film. Good scene. You don't miss a beat, TB. lol

I was either reading or watching something on Doo Wop music and it said that when new groups competed in singing contests, the most popular song chosen to sing was "This Is My Love" by The Passions. Good song.

https://youtu.be/hTIHz1YfTV8