Well the Lucchese and Genovese family did try to kill Gotti at least once in 1986. They planted a car bomb under his Underboss' car but only the Underboss was killed. Gotti was supposed to be in the car with him but he cancelled his plans at the last minute. Keep in mind that because of all the media and law enforcement attention Gotti received it was extremely difficult to attempt to kill him.

Also all of Gotti's publicity didn't necessarily hurt Gotti at the time. When Gotti first became boss he was on trial for assaulting a repairman in a traffic dispute. When the witness realized who he was about to testify against, all of a sudden he refused to testify in court, so the case was dismissed ("I forgotti" newspaper headline).

Plus I am certain that some of the members were totally O.K with Gotti flaunting in the spotlight. Let him get all the law enforcement attention, the other guy can stay in the shadows. See what I'm saying? Of course when Sammy Gravano testified in 1992 it bit everyone in the ass but that's not the point.

I've often wondered what the Gambinos would have done if say, Gotti's conviction was overturned and was sent back home (and he never died of cancer). I would imagine they would just shelve him. Despite all his flaws, he never ratted, something they could appreciate. I'm sure if he tried to muscle his way back in though, they probably would have found a way to kill him. Just a thought.