Originally Posted By: pmac
I read the feds will not use the turncoat who made the tapes and started this whole bust when he was busted selling pills. So if they cant put him on the stand they cant use the tapes he recorded of merlino so the charges will most likely be nol procesed or dismised.

Whered you read that? I dont think its just that guy that got Merlino indicted, the feds actually carried out an broad investigation on Merlino and the others, Rubeo was only part of it. And its not that the tapes arent usuable, its the Texts messages , some of which were reportedly missing, and the blame was on the FBI in that situation supposedly over their handling of Rubeo. From the sounds of it, it seems like he deleted over 40 or so text messages which were meant to be used as evidence against Merlino and the others, and thats why so many of them took pleas. The plea deals could also mean that the guys just werent willing to go to trial, due to the evidence that may still be presented. In Merlinos case, the fact that hes fighting it, evidence may and can still be introduced into the trial, not necessarily Rubeo testifying, but tapes that were made with Merlino possibly discussing crimes. Remember Rubeo also introduced an actual agent into the mix whom also may have recorded evidence against the bunch and I havent seen anything which implies the agent being unable to introduce his evidence or testify.