https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/19/us/politics/trump-russia-comey.html?_r=0

excerpt of article

WASHINGTON — President Trump told Russian officials in the Oval Office this month that firing the F.B.I. director, James B. Comey, had relieved “great pressure” on him, according to a document summarizing the meeting.

“I just fired the head of the F.B.I. He was crazy, a real nut job,” Mr. Trump said, according to the document, which was read to The New York Times by an American official. “I faced great pressure because of Russia. That’s taken off.”

Mr. Trump added, “I’m not under investigation.”

The conversation, during a May 10 meeting — the day after he fired Mr. Comey — reinforces the notion that Mr. Trump dismissed him primarily because of the bureau’s investigation into possible collusion between his campaign and Russian operatives. Mr. Trump said as much in one televised interview, but the White House has offered changing justifications for the firing.
Newsletter Sign Up
Continue reading the main story
Breaking News Emails

Get the latest on President Trump and James Comey — and other major news — delivered to your email inbox.
Receive occasional updates and special offers for The New York Times's products and services.

Privacy Policy

The White House document that contained Mr. Trump’s comments was based on notes taken from inside the Oval Office and has been circulated as the official account of the meeting. One official read quotations to The Times, and a second official confirmed the broad outlines of the discussion.
Continue reading the main story
The Trump White House
The historic moments, head-spinning developments and inside-the-White House intrigue.

Bob Casey Was an Understated Senator. Then Came Trump.
MAY 19
G.O.P. Highlights Alternate Legislative Universe as Trump’s Woes Pile Up
MAY 19
Fact Check: Trump Is Contradictory on Comey and Misleading on Russia
MAY 18
Amid Trump Turmoil, Some Begin Eyeing Mike Pence
MAY 18
Cloud of Special Investigation Could Linger Over Trump’s Presidency
MAY 18

See More »
Related Coverage

Comey, Unsettled by Trump, Is Said to Have Wanted Him Kept at a Distance MAY 18, 2017
Trump, Citing ‘a Witch Hunt,’ Denies Any Collusion With Russia MAY 18, 2017
Trump Says There Was ‘No Collusion’ With the Russians MAY 18, 2017
Trump Team Knew Flynn Was Under Investigation Before He Came to White House MAY 17, 2017
Comey Memo Says Trump Asked Him to End Flynn Investigation MAY 16, 2017

Sean Spicer, the White House press secretary, did not dispute the account.