Originally Posted By: Alfanosgirl
What was the first movie you ever saw at the movie theater?

A Dean Martin/Jerry Lewis film, "Pardners". It was one of their last movies they made together. A hot summer night in 1956; I was five years old. My parents wanted to get out of the hot apartment (this was in the days before everyone had air-conditioning at home) so they took me to the local theater and we watched Martin & Lewis in a COOL room.

It was over sixty years ago but I still remember being thrilled at going into this huge, cavernous, dark room and seeing all these people watching the screen. I knew who the stars were (from television) and I think watched about thirty minutes of the movie before I fell asleep. I'd go on to visit that theater many, many times while I was growing up. I'd go with my friends once a month on a Saturday and spend the entire day there for 50ยข to see two main movies, a serial and some cartoons. Then, as I got older, I'd go there on dates. I'd still go there with my wife after I got married. Then the theater became a gym.

Somehow everything came full cycle. Now when I go to a theater I fall asleep again. Only difference is, I snore now. blush