Both San Francisco and San Jose are dead. I will speak on the bay area there are some members left alive in each of those two cities
Chicago and Genovese families have some influence on the docks, Lucchese family had a long construction interest from the 1950's up till Pat died in the mid 2000's. Bonanno family has some associates there, mainly through the Ditri brothers, but after Tony died, Dan retired but kept a few of his fronts for his kids, he is still in contact with a few members in New York. The Colombo family had Jimmy out there, but he died in 02' I believe, but Salvatore Profaci stays in contact with Stefano Cerrito, but both of them are retired, plus Steve was never made. The Gambino family had has maintained connections there, through Anastasia side, not Gambino side as many have believed. Detroit has a guy there, but he is retired. The Sicilians actually have people there, one of which is a Cerrito who is related to the Cerritos, but the most powerful group is the Calabrians, 6 or 7 members strong, core group, who are into loansharking, money laundering, narcotics and smuggling, even the Triad Dragons and the Russian mafia dont mess with them and that is saying a lot.

That acting underboss is blow out of portion, Shacks was invited in a few high level meetings, cause of the major busts at the time, but he is retired, however he still has a guy in Las Vegas who does handicaps, and the Colombo family gets a nice little profit from the action.

"I have this Nightmare. I'm on 5th avenue watching the St. Patrick's Day parade and I have a coronary and nine thousand cops march happily over my body." Chief Sidney Green