Many public records require individual requests to be released, and I would presume its for this very reason. They have to make sure the person making the request isn't looking to exploit and ruin the good name of someone who's never committed a crime, or at least has never been convicted of a crime. I'm sure there's other things they look into as well, but I have to believe this is one of the reasons for the application process. I can't think of any reason to know the names of mobsters' non criminal relatives other than to exploit them. Can you? Honestly. What is it, to stalk their facebook pages and look for photos? If they wanted those photos released to the public, they would release them to the public. The mobsters are fair game. The relatives of mobsters who put their shit out there for the world to see are fair game. The innocent citizen relatives of mobsters are entitled to a private life. This isn't just an idea. It's in the constitution.

"...the successful annihilation of organized crime's subculture in America would rock the 'legitimate' world's foundation, which would ultimately force fundamental social changes and redistributions of wealth and power in this country. Meyer Lansky's dream was to bond the two worlds together so that one could not survive without the other." - Dan E. Moldea