Originally Posted By: Irishman12
Originally Posted By: getthesenets
I
HATE the modern NBA....what ever happened to post play?

low post....even the mid post....and running actual plays?

You and me both. The league and the game have really gone down hill for me since Michael Jordan retired for the second time in 1998. Ever since then, it just hasn't been the same for me. My beefs are:

1) Centers have no outside game. I remember growing up watching Patrick Ewing, Rik Smits, David Robertson, etc. These guys could shoot and even make free throws.

2) The Hack-a-Shaq that puts the worst free throw shooter on the line and slows the game down to a crawl. Not to mention all of the timeouts during the last 5 minutes of a game. The last 5 minutes of a game can last up to 45 minutes with all of that crap!

3) Little changes like a backcourt violation is only 8 seconds now, rather than 10.

4) Ugly uniforms. What infuriates me more than anything is how more and more, the away team wears a white jersey and the home team wears a dark jersey. I have to figure out who's the home team based on the logo at center court, rather than what jersey the team is wearing. Football is the only game where a home team wears a dark color and the visitors wear a white color. Now the NBA has so many of the stupid, ugly jerseys that they want to sell, more times than not, they have the home team wearing a dark color. And don't even get me started on those horrendous volleyball jerseys too!

5) Sponsors on jerseys. Yes, beginning next year, NBA jersey's are no longer sacred. They will allow advertisers to put their logo on all of the teams jerseys. I mean really, how much is enough? It'll roll out slowly, but before long, they'll wind up looking like NASCAR drivers and will look absolutely ridiculous. This is NOT the league I remember watching growing up. It has done a lot to expand itself, especially globally, but due to these items above, these are just some of the reasons why I really only watch during the playoffs (and it's usually either the conference or NBA Finals).

1) To a large degree, I agree the NBA started its decline when Jordan left in '98. But the other major contributing factor was when David Stern started to allow players to enter the draft after 1 year of college. Players are still raw with their talent and many are not ready for the NBA. This, more than anything else, has contributed to the decline in play IMHO.

2) I also cannot stand the friendship shown between players on different teams. I loved the 80s/90s when the NBA had fights between Dr. J and Boston, Tree Rollins biting Danny Ainge, and fill-in-the-blank incidents with Detroit.

3) I hate that players feel they have to shake hands with their teammate after every free throw.

4) I watched about 20 minutes of Game 1 of the Cavs-Raptors. Nearly the entire time neither team ran offense. The only approach was to chuck 3-pointers.

I know that I sound like "get off my lawn" guy. But the quality has gone down immensely. Right now, I think MLB is the best thing going. I thought the NFL really declined last year and will continue declining because 1/2 the league has medicore-to-bad QB play. This stems from QBs running the spread and from the shotgun in college. The learning curve from the NCAA to the NFL is too great for many of them.