Originally Posted By: Johnny_Pops
Originally Posted By: Hollander
Originally Posted By: Ciment
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/musitano-death-1.4097416

Dubro says the two were never involved in very "sophisticated crimes," and that they were "more feared than respected."

Pat was the more fearsome of the two, Debro says.

"He will, in time, be killed," he said. "There's no question about that."

I am surprised at how blunt & confident James Dubro is about Pat will get killed in time.

It does seem to me the Musitanos were a second-tier gang.

I agree that the Musitanos have often been considered second-tier in Hamilton's mob hierarchy but the scope of their activity can spread beyond the Hamilton area. For example, they were involved in a scheme to influence the big labour union LIUNA. I believe they were also part of a large sport book enterprise (connected to Rizzutos) that was eventually busted by the police a few years ago. After Giacomo Luppino died, the media and OC pundits always considered Johnny Papalia "the don" of Ontario and his crew dominated activity throughout the province. After Johnny was hit, those same pundits acclaimed the Musitano's as the new top family. However someone I know, who would be considered a mob 'associate', told me a couple of years ago that the Luppinos were always really the top family around here. Their scope was international and they pulled major deals. But their power began to fade too as the Luppino brothers aged. However, the next of generation of Luppino/Violi's are in their prime. They seem to have reasserted the family's position and influence. When the power struggle in Montreal was fully raging and trips were being made to Hamilton, it wasn't to visit Frank Papalia or Pat Musitano.

Excellent analysis, I agree with everything you wrote.