I think Lost in Translation is great because I really enjoyed it as it is a really good film. It isn't very funny as in laugh-out-loud funny, but a film does not have to be laugh-out-loud funny to be classed as funny, and I smiled throughout because it is a great film.

Seriously, I think it's the best of 2003. Truthful, honest depiction of loneliness and the closeness you can feel to somebody in the same predicament. My database entry reads thus:

Lost In Translation ***
2003, Coppola, US/Jap

Two Americans in Japan, one an actor, the other a lonely wife over on her husband's business, meet up and enjoy each other's company.
Underplayed, humanistic drama executed with a minimalistic approach, which makes for a warming, satisfying product; if the writing sometimes relies on jokes about the Japanese stereotypes too much, the acting certainly compensates.

Irish, I can see where you might be disappointed in the lack of laughs, but that's no fault of the film, it's in the distributors who promoted it as an out-and-out, "hilarious" comedy. Not so. It's above that. It's a drama, and an effective one at that. Brief Encounter (1945) without the train, if you like.

Mick

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?