Originally Posted By: pmac
Fish cafaro spread alot of light as to wat happend with the genovese family in the early 70tys i wish he told more about tommy ryans snuff out. They guy was gambinos number 1 enemy in the usa. But if funzi tieri was a pupet of carlos a few yrs after his death they say funzi single handly set angelo bruno up for the shotgun blast. Funzi tieri comes up alot in scarpas fbi files. He was a force in bk but he was sick alot. Who knows.

Tommy Ryan's murder has never really been properly explained as far as I'm concerned. According to Cafaro, in 1972, Lombardo was the boss and Tommy Ryan was the underboss who fronted as boss of the family. So that means Lombardo would have had to of given the OK to have Ryan killed. We know Ryan and Gambino didn't get along and that Gambino held a lot of sway, but making a boss give up his underboss would be pretty big.

Cafaro also says that by 1974, Lombardo chose Funzi Tieri as underboss who fronted as boss of the family. I've read several times that Tieri was close to Gambino or his puppet boss, but can't recall any actual evidence of this.

Figuring all this out would really answer which family was more powerful in the 70s.