Originally Posted By: Hollander
Originally Posted By: antimafia
Victim has been identified as Domenico Triumbari.

Curious to know whether the contiguity with yesterday's murder of Antonio Sergi in Toronto means something or absolutely nothing. But those are storied surnames.

I don't believe in coincidence.
I assume Sergi is from Platì and Triumbari from Siderno.

I'm not sure whether you're implying that there was tension between the two victims--and between any Calabrian crime cells with which each victim was associated--because they and the groups have ancestry from different comuni in Calabria. If I've misinterpreted what you've written, please correct me.

You and others could very well be right about the two murders in one day not being a coincidence, just as you and others could very well be right about the second murder being an act of retaliation for the first.

There are so many scenarios, though, and we don't definitively know whether these two victims were inducted into the 'ndrangheta or were Siderno Group associates. Law enforcement is looking at past murders, attempted murders, and arsons/firebombings in Woodbridge (Vaughan) and Toronto from at least five years ago, not just the two murders this past Friday. The recent double shooting in Woodbridge on Tuesday, March 14, is especially being examined; as Ciment wrote, Sergi's murder could be tied to that double shooting in which the young woman was accidentally killed. The problem for law enforcement is that contiguity in murder cases, while always needing to be examined, either yields instant results or leads nowhere. Add to this the fact that, in order to throw homicide detectives off the scent, criminals exploit the opportunity to kill someone in proximity to a recent murder to make law enforcement think the two murders are closely tied.

If Sergi and Triumbari belonged to the same cell, 'ndrina, crew, etc., let's not dismiss the scenario that these two were picked off by a common enemy. Then we have to determine whether the enemy is from within the Siderno Group itself, i.e., there has been internal friction.

Finally, because many members of Italian organized-crime groups don't believe in a statute of limitations for revenge murders, we can't dismiss a vendetta as being behind certain murders. While I don't think this is the reason behind the Sergi and Triumbari murders, I can't rule it out because I don't know why revenge might have been sought. At first I didn't think Domenic Triumbari was any relation to Salvatore Triumbari, murdered in 1967, but I know now I could very well be wrong--who knows whether there has always been some underlying beef or thirst for revenge?