Originally Posted By: Ciment
Originally Posted By: antimafia
"Jury selection begins in high-profile murder at café in Toronto's Little Italy during a soccer broadcast"

http://news.nationalpost.com/toronto/jur...-game-broadcast

It's about time. Why that long?

I think getting this to trial has been very complicated.

Wiwchar was already facing charges in British Columbia in an unrelated matter.

Nero was facing charges in relation to Project Ink (Phase I, I think--I can check later) and was in prison when he was charged in relation to Raposo's murder.

Alkhalil was hiding out in Greece, and he was also facing charges in relation to Operation Loquace (maybe Phase I of Project Ink, too--again, I can check later).

Caputo was hiding out in Germany, and he was also facing charges in relation to both Project Ink (probably Phase I) and Operation Loquace.

I can't recall at the moment whether Alkhalil or Caputo or both were charged in relation to Raposo's murder while sitting in jail, after first having been extradited to Canada.

Then of course there is the whole issue of whether Alfredo Patriarca's murder was related to Raposo's murder; whether Patriarca may have have been involved in the latter. I'm not sure of all the reasons, but perhaps law enforcement needed and wanted to round up all the suspects before moving things along?