Originally Posted By: Faithful1
I think the sort of police training that's given in the UK could be very useful in curtailing a lot of police abuse. One big area of concern for me is the treatment of the mentally ill and those with physical issues, from obesity to disability.

Eric Garner, who was clearly obese and had asthma, should never have been placed on the ground with a man on top of him putting pressure on his lungs and diminishing his ability to breathe. I firmly believe that this had more to do with his death than the officer choking him. The police get away with that because it's in their training, and as long as they follow policy, it's legal. The training is wrong, backward, outdated and dangerous.

The chokehold was illegal, but there was no damage to his windpipe or neck bones. Meanwhile, the officer who choked and put his weight on Garner's torso, Officer Daniel Pantaleo, was being supervised and every move watched by Sergeant Kizzy Adoni, who did nothing to intervene. She was the ranking officer, yet no charges were brought against her. This is the sort of thing that's a lot more common than the sadistic cop. Sadistic cops need to be fired, and if they commit crimes while wearing their badges, but in prison. The average cop, however, thinks he or she is doing the right thing as long as the policy is being followed. So to have a greater effect, there has to be more accounting for the policies.

it's never going to happen, do you remember the Cleveland cops murdering the 10 yr old boy, they pulled up 2 seconds later the kids dead. cops have always gotten away with murder, I grew up in L.A. in the fifties, beatings in police stations, were common, that's why the Escobedo and Miranda decision came down from the supreme court.... these beatings, and murders are nothing new, cell phones, and cams, are. I'm seen this all my life, and I'm 75, and i'll see it til I die. hopefully you won't.

" watch what you say around this guy, he's got a big mouth" sam giancana to an outfit soldier about frank Sinatra. [ from the book "my way"