Originally Posted By: salvi62
Furio,

One snort or one shot of H is not enough to make someone an addict. If that were the case then any hospital who gave a patient morphine for a few days after a major surgery would be sending them home addicted.

No, it takes a while to get a real habit going. You start out doing it once in a while, then it becomes a weekend thing, then one day you decide you don't feel like going to the bad parts of town or waiting around for your dealer and you skip a day. Well after about 12 hours your nose will start running , you start getting these hot and cold sweats and its all downhill....you are hooked.

Another thing.....NOBODY and I mean NOBODY ever gradually reduces their does of H until they are clean. The drug is way too seductive for that. You play these little "games" with yourself, like "well for the last two days I reduced so tonight I think I'll reward myself a little". Then the habit goes back up again.

The only way you could possibly reduce is to just do enough so that you were just a tiny bit sick all the time, even if you just maintain a "normal" you won't reduce.

Reducing is a common joke with junkies. They all talk about doing it , but nobody ever does. Because if you do reduce even a little bit you know how good a full dose is going to feel.

Heroin is like a genie in a bottle. You take the cap off and the genie comes out. But then try getting her back in.

Salvi

Salvi,the heroin addiction is identical to that of morphine, but is start more quickly and with lower substance quantities. Also the lethal doses are lower, so that the risk of overdose is greater than for morphine. 1 mg of heroin may be equal from 2.5 mg to 4.9 mg of morphine.
What I said in the Swiss centers was referring to the fact that if a junkie want to stop, they help him in the rehab and surely using substances to clean him the blood and fight drug abstinence.