@getthesenets

Absolutely cops have to be held accountable. Part of the problem is that lawmakers create laws that permit bad cops to slide. There's also a professional courtesy in the court system where cops automatically are given a higher level of credibility than anyone else. Then there are the police unions that protect their members and put up walls against prosecutions. I think this country made a big mistake when it allowed government employees to be unionized. It's created a bigger burden on taxpayers and decreased accountability. Look at the pedophile teachers in New York and you can't get rid of them.

The general public likes to give officers the extra benefit of the doubt since they put themselves into harm's way. If there's a shooting, while everyone else is running away, they're running toward it. Likewise, when the most hardcore anti-police agitator becomes a crime victim he or she goes to the police.

So there has to be a balance. Having a bodycam I think is a step in the right direction to hold cops accountable. Yes, they can turn them off, but more and more there will be penalties for doing so. On the other hand, there are privacy rules. Cops are allowed to turn them off when they use the bathroom, for example.

We have to recognized as well that there are plenty of non-police who get away with murder. Put in more libertarian-leaning judges who tend to judge all equally. Judge Aaron Persky, the liberal/left-wing judge in the Stanford rape case, is a perfect example of why we don't need more judges like him.

@cookcounty

I think the claim that "cops break more laws than the average citizen" needs some evidence. How do you know that?