I was poking around on the Net for information about Dean Wiwchar, the suspect charged in the murder of Portuguese-Canadian criminal John Raposo back in 2012 at the Sicilian Sidewalk Cafe in Toronto--see my latest post from yesterday at http://www.gangsterbb.net/threads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=904345#Post904345.

I came across an article/blog published exactly one year ago. The link is

https://panamericancrime.wordpress.com/2016/01/12/the-mafia-and-toronto-an-update/

I don't agree with a number of statements made by the writer but I did want to share the excerpt below (all of you should read most or all of the blog to get some idea of where he's coming from).

In fact, the issue may already have degenerated into armed conflict. Verduci’s murder, now believed to be related to him being discovered by Italian police to be the official messenger between the Camera di Controllo in Toronto and the Crimini Provincia in Calabria, was just the first that can be attributed to the mounting tension. On June 24, 2015 a gunman named Jason Hay, a man with a documented violent criminal past, walked into the Moka Espresso Bar in Woodbridge and opened fire on four people, two of whom were killed. Police believe that Hay, in a move that is a hallmark of Toronto’s ‘Ndrine, was hired by opposing Toronto ‘Ndrine. The actual target of the Moka shooting has not yet been identified by police but police assume it is related to a Calabrian power struggle in Toronto. As was the case with Hay, it is believed that a Toronto ‘Ndrine may also have been responsible for the murder of John Riposo on College Street in Toronto in June, 2012, and that his murderer was Dean Wiwchar. Police sources believe that Wiwchar’s identity as the killer was subsequently leaked by Toronto ‘Ndrangheta members to law enforcement as he was known to attack his employers in order to avoid any future legal repercussions if they were to eventually become cooperating witnesses. These killings point to tensions between the Toronto ‘Ndrine and a capacity for violence in order to resolve the underlying issues.

I think that we will have to wait to see whether the respective lawyers for Dean Wiwchar and Jason Hay even decide to go to trial before entertaining the possibility that either suspect will spill the beans about who hired them.