Whose "most commentators", just out of curiousity? A quick google search of the three names, Kuklinski, Gravano & Peter Calabro, all separately I might add, produces numerous articles, but none of them state Kuklinski was scheduled to testify against Gravano. Kuklinski confessed to the Calabro murder on live television, so I don't know how he'd legally be able to testify anyway. Kuklinski was charged along with Gravano in '03 after Kuklinski confessed and mentioned Gravano as part of his confession, I don't know about him being scheduled to testify, but it never happened, and the case was thrown out after Kuklinski died, and these are the DA's, whom was on the case, own words...

Originally Posted By: "Molinelli"
“While our office possesses independent information which tends to corroborate Mr. Kuklinski’s story that he was hired by Mr. Gravano to kill police officer Calabro, I do not believe that such evidence, standing alone, supports proceeding ahead to trial at this time,” Molinelli said.

In other words, Kuklinskis words alone weren't reliable enough to convict in the case of a trial. I dont know about him being scheduled to testify though.