Originally Posted By: getthesenets
Originally Posted By: Binnie_Coll
gets.... what % of black people have now or had slave names? dna testing for those who had their names taken away, should be the way to go, to find their roots. worse thing the slaveholders ever did was taking away the slaves real names,

Binnie,

I'd say 100% of us who are descended from enslaved Africans do not have last names that reflect our heritage. Some people legally change their last names because of that. There are people who randomly adopted names of ethnic African or Arabic origin, and now with this dna testing people can attach themselves to something a bit closer to who they are.

If you meet Black person without a European last name, usually it's a continental African.

I'm not 100% convinced about these tests, but I think it's a good look to try to find out.

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't it true that the hertiage of most American blacks isn't %100 African?

Ditto the same is probably true for alot of white people as well.

As most black people I know say they often have European ancestors i.e. they have British hertiage somewhere. Or in one of my friend's case a great grandfather or other releative who immigrated to this country from say Ireland or Italy in the early 1900's etc.