Originally Posted By: helenwheels
Originally Posted By: OakAsFan
. I'm aware of Kent State, but there at least was a public political action taking place. What would our government do if everyone just refused to join the military? Would they just start dragging people out of their homes at gun point? Just something I like to ponder for the sake of discussion, that's all.

I've always found it odd that we all know about Kent state, but people rarely mention the killings at Jackson state, 4 days later, or at South Carolina state in 68.

Of course, none of these incidents were the first time the government killed innocent civilians without justification, as many coal miners and laborers can attest. Hell, they even sent the army to fire on the Bonus Army during the depression, killing 2 vets. So much for respecting the troops...

I'm well aware of what happened to the bonus marchers when they camped out in Washington, it was gen. doug mccarther that rode in on a white horse and ran them out. and I know of the national guard units who killed miners who were strikers in Idaho, and how the mayor of S.F. called in the national guard to shoot strikers in that city. or rockefellers mines in Ludlow colo. where women and children were burned alive while wanting a union. or henry fords private army shooting strikers at ford motor company. we have quite a history of action against those who challenge authority.

" watch what you say around this guy, he's got a big mouth" sam giancana to an outfit soldier about frank Sinatra. [ from the book "my way"