Originally Posted By: OakAsFan
Thank you, F-1.

To be honest, I did feel kind of bad that I didn't go out and try some of the judo I learned from a library book in the 5th grade. But, yeah, I think things are going to start getting really ugly if people just start combating property crime by taking matters into their own hands and not calling the police. That whole civilization thing. I happen to believe in it. Even still.

Gets was right that sometimes you have a light a fire under their collective asses to get them moving. His idea was a good one, but the whole system needs to work together.

There's a point in Broken Windows theory about minor property crime leading to greater ones since lack of enforcement on the small stuff leads to a perception of permission on the part of the violator/perpetrator. We don't have to agree with the entire theory to realize that parts of it make sense, and this is one of them. Putting this together with restorative justice (making the victim whole again) and you'll see some serious improvement.

Usually when someone tags property or steals election signs or vandalizes in some way, the response is there might be an arrest leading to a fine, unless it's severe, which results in jail. Nothing is done to help the victim, so it's a hassle for the victim to get involved if there's no benefit in it for him or her. What should happen instead is that the perp should be at least fined twice the cost of the crime, and that money (plus processing fees to the government entity) needs to repay the victim. If it's tagging, the tagger needs to buy paint and repaint the area he (they're usually males) tagged, then on top of that pay the victim twice the cost of labor and materials (ideally with an apology). That's restorative.

Police officers can be let down by the system too, which is why they don't push people to write complaints. If it's more trouble than it's worth it makes sense they're going to discourage involvement. The system needs to be changed first.

Following up on Gets's idea, you can go to city hall and push for changes in local laws. You can propose better laws. You can start petitions. I think as a liberal you can appreciate a restorative justice model that works to empower victims. Also learn about the local judges and help put in jurists that are fair. Just some ideas in keeping with the idea of civilization.