Originally Posted By: getthesenets
People in "bad" areas or in good areas that some losers are trying to ruin can do the same thing; monitor the area you live in, call police on the losers, force officials to enforce law and safety codes. Some people sit by idly as the area they live in slowly decays. Me? the First sign of bullsh*t, I'm trying to get you out of the neighborhood. Either conform to the rules of the area, keep paying steep fines from the township, or beat it.

About 5 years ago I witnessed and video taped an act of vandalism at the apartment complex I was living in. I called the sheriffs. When they arrived, they were apathetic, and seemed more pissed at me for calling them than they were at what took place in the video I showed them. They told me my only options (get it, my options? evidently this wasn't their problem...) were to either complain to the apartment manager, or make a "citizens arrest", where the burden would be on me to produce evidence in court, and I could be sued for wrongful arrest, etc. They were clearly discouraging me from doing anything. So, I ended up just complaining to the apartment manager, these two young women that hang out and eat pizza all day. They may as well have punched themselves in the face.

Maybe I'm being cynical, nets, but I think the police protect the areas where there's lucrative real estate investment, and couldn't care less about other areas. In fact, I believe they discourage people in poor areas from calling them, and would just rather everyone killed each other. Of course they don't say this on tv. They always say they want the poor communities to get involved, but they don't mean it. The police protect the money. That's just my assessment based on my experiences.

"...the successful annihilation of organized crime's subculture in America would rock the 'legitimate' world's foundation, which would ultimately force fundamental social changes and redistributions of wealth and power in this country. Meyer Lansky's dream was to bond the two worlds together so that one could not survive without the other." - Dan E. Moldea