Originally Posted By: OakAsFan
Vacari, real quick, then we'll get back to the Trump bashing.

Why did the commission even bother recognizing the west coast families when they clearly didn't want to do business with them? It's obvious they preferred the Jewish gangsters like Siegel and Coen to represent them out west. I know in Roselli's book he talks about vouching for Dragna. Why? It seems that recognizing the west coast families and officially making them part of the national syndicate was as far as their respect went. Beyond that, they seemed to view the west coast families as an annoyance.

I made the mistake of buying that Lanza book. There's like no information about him. Most of the book was about well known mob stuff elsewhere around the country. Did Lanza ever do anything mob related? Same for San Jose.

OakAsFan, San Francisco and San Jose both had strong relations with other families. Joe Profaci and Joe Bonanno both had great relations with San Jose.
The Sciortinos of those westcoast families since they are entrenched in all three, were made members in New York during the 1910s, before heading out west.
Dragnas of L.A. were close to Tommy Lucchese, since Jack and Tom were once in Gagliano's gang, before he hooked up with Tommy Reina, and the Dragnas headed west like the Sciortinos due to Tommy Gagliano cousin turning informant in the 1910's and was giving names of those involved in murders in Manhattan and the Bronx.
The commission recognized San Francisco since it was one of the oldest groups in America, as old as New Orleans, but younger than N.O. The commission recognized lot of families, since the Castellammarese War was over, and they did not want anymore fighting, so the members across the US, who were aligned with one of the New York factions, became their own official families in the eyes of the Commission. This was a way to stop the fighting and bring in money.
East coast families and midwest families trusted their own guys out there instead of the families operating in those cities, cause their guys would report on the happenings and flow of cash coming to them. In the mobs eyes, Jews were big time money makers, plus Lansky vouched for many of them on the west coast, which was good enough for New York.

Originally Posted By: SonnyBlackstein
Cheers Oaks.

Who were they voting on hitting?

A soldier in their own family who was living in the L.A. area. If the guy was in New York City, or Northern New Jersey, they would not have needed to get permission from Los Angeles to hit him. Protocol states if the target is in a city controlled by another family, they must get permission from that family to do the hit.
I don't know who the guy was, nor did the Weasel.

"I have this Nightmare. I'm on 5th avenue watching the St. Patrick's Day parade and I have a coronary and nine thousand cops march happily over my body." Chief Sidney Green