Originally Posted By: getthesenets
Quote:

Is the same amount of manufacturing still there that was there 4 decades ago, or has most of the industry now gone?

Manufacturing industry has been in decline for about 4 decades, you are right about that. I think what doomed people more than those jobs going away, were their attitudes about education and entrepreneurship. My father worked in a factory and the point wasn't for him to break his back for his son to be working right alongside him, doing the exact same thing. That factory job was a means to an end, not the end itself.

I agree with what youre saying. I know a lot of people in the generations before mine that were like your dad.

The jobs going away is a big part of what ails us though. Steady employment and the chance for a decent life does go a long way toward solving lots of issues that lead to crime. It would even greatly improve the situation in the middle east. People with decent jobs are less likely to be terror recruits, which at its core is just another form of crime. Im digressing a bit, but there are some commonalities.

Quote:
About the neighborhoods falling apart? I always say that there is a difference between not having a lot of money and being poor. Once a person loses his/her dignity, they are poor.You can walk through the worst neighborhoods in America and find many people who carry themselves with pride. They respect themselves and their home/environment. The problem is that the losers with no self respect ruin the entire area for the regular people.

i agree with this too. There are always people who for whatever reasons give in to their poverty, and let it defeat them. I can sympathize with some of the reasons, and not with others. This portion of people crosses all color lines, despite what the troll op would like to believe.

All God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

I never met anyone who didn't have a very smart child. What happens to these children, you wonder, when they reach adulthood?