Originally Posted By: olivant
I have to comment on this. I grew up in the Larimer Ave area of Pittsburgh which was known as Pittsburgh's Little Italy. Yes, the Avenue was dominated by Italians, but there were plenty of other ethnicities that lived there also. It was a vibrant, attractive Avenue with business dotting the landscape, and houses and apartments along it and its side streets. That was in the 60s and maybe just slightly into the 70s.

Through Google earth, take a look at it now. You'll see huge swaths of empty lots and dilapidated housing. It has no life. It's been that way for a few decades now. So, why? What happened? What's the variable? Black Americans moved in; that's what happened. Drive up and down the Avenue and its side-streets. You won't see white people, or Hispanic people, or Asian people. You will see black people. It's such a tragedy. The white people left, the Italians and poles, and Germans, and Slovaks left, the Catholics and Protestants left.

Over the last few decades when I would visit Pittsburgh and tell my dad that my sisters and I were going to visit the old neighborhood, he would tell me: "Be careful." It was good advice.
...And I must also comment,although i am in fear of being called a certain label in this day & age of political correctness,i am simply stating an example of truth...I grew up in mayfair ,n.e.phila.,the streets were lined w/pretty trees,everyones front lawn was manicured w/rose bushes,birdbaths & lawn sculptures etc.(circa 60s to the early 80s) I moved out in 82 & all was the same until about early 90s. The neighborhood was predominantly jewish or us roman catholic..Now, if i cruise through( w/windows up & doors locked) it looks devastated, no trees,unkempt yards.TRASH on the curbs & sidewalks,NO FUCKIN'BIRDS!..turn on the 11o clock news & the 1rst thing u hear 4 the next 10 minutes the words SHOT,SHOOT,KILLED ,ROBBED OR MURDERED...alot of it in the once beautiful place i roamed ,rode my bike,went to the store for elderly neighbors(kids could b trusted w/someone elses money back then,we respected our elders),built snowmen, shoveled snow 2 EARN a buck,,BORN & RAISED ..u get the idea..what happened??? take a fuckin' guess. Sorry if my honesty offended anyone,but it burns me up 2 c my birthplace turned into a ghetto.

I didn't want to leave blood on your carpet...