I saw a poster on another thread (may have been IvyLeague, might be mistaken) say that there are nine viable, active families in the USA at the moment. I assume that's the Five Families, Chicago, Philadelphia, DeCavalcantes and New England. Around the Late 1950s there were around 25 active mafia families in the USA, so sixteen families have become extinct in the last sixty years.

My question is what happens when a family dies, how do the last men standing deal with it. Obviously some places wither and die naturally - New Orleans was essentially based on Carlos Marcello and when he died the family quickly receded, added to the lack of made men to follow in his wake. In other places a quick decapitation seems to destroy the structure - I think the Mahoning County busts in the mid 90s that dismantled the Pittsburgh wing of the Youngstown mob are a good example of that.

Whatever the circumstances though there are bound to be made men or wise guys left behind. Do they continue their rackets but as independents, do they get jobs in Wal-Mart, do they try and form a new administration? Are there examples of families deciding to call it a day after a big bust, I can imagine the meeting where no-one volunteers to step up and become new boss, awkward. I also remember a New Orleans cop quoted around the time that there was that 'assassin van' bust saying that there isn't a mob family in NO anymore but there might be a couple of old guys who almost pretend, sit in restaurants reminiscing about the old days and call each other boss and consigliere.

It also must be great for some bookies or pimps etc not to have to wet the mobs beak. I remember reading on of the books about Family Secrets and the testimony of Michael Calarico about Ronnie Jarrett. When the Calabrese crew were sent to prison initially in 1997 Calarico went to Nick Calabrese who told him he didn't need to pay street tax anymore but when Jarrett got out of jail he demanded his cut, culminating in a beating for Calarico. Subsequently Jarrett was murdered, although I don't think a definitive motive was found. Must be a few bookmakers in formerly mob heavy places like Cleveland, Detroit or Kansas City who delight in the (relative) death of LCN in their town,,or do they appreciate the protection from other criminals?

Anyone got any good stories about the aftermath of a mob takedown?