You write a lot Cabrini, and I enjoy reading it. But I'll try to reply to specific points to try and explain why I stand where I stand...

Quote:
First thing on the author, all these guys to a certain extent have an agenda. I just pointed out to Ivey in another thread, an entire report on OC earnings was released and it was basically incomplete. This same Sixth Family author mentions the calabrians in the book like they are just dog shit, but we SEE what it is today. Guys say the same about Naples clans, they aren't organized yadda, yadda....

What the Sixth Family author tried to say, at least how I am reading it, is that all of the Italian OC groups in Canada acted "under the banner of" and "under the auspices of", Vito Rizzuto. I don't believe this. The N'Dranghetta were/are their own people. Panepinto got hit because he crossed them and Vito could do nothing to protect him.

Quote:
Alfa, Sciascia got hit, one he was asked by Massino, as a test, to provide ghost shooters from Cananda for a hit. But instead of doing that, he told some guy, " Use Baldo", meaning Baldo Amato for the hit. Massino was pissed that Sciascia, " disrespected the guys capo like that..." and started to , rightly, suspect that the Canadians were becoming a little too autonomous. See what he did was circumnavigate the rules, indirectly being insubordinate. Then he went and said Graziano, or Cantarella, somebody, was always stoned, one of Massinos top guys, and kinda subtly questioning Massinos authority, IN NEW YORK. And that is the key piece to remember. I'm sure it was in the book.

Yes it was. It was also in the book that Massino went to very great lengths to make it look like a drug deal gone bad, instead of taking credit for the hit. Massino had no excuse he felt would satisfy all concerned, so he made a big show making it look like they were hunting for the killers, etc etc etc. The reason you cite above I believe to be one of those excuses used after the fact to justify a murder that took place for other reasons. It could be true. Maybe. Whatever the motivation was, Massino evidently didn't think it would go over very well, with anyone, in New York or Canada. But isn't it also awfully convenient that after George from Canada was taken out, that supposedly no New York Bonanno had any links to the Canadian smuggling. That sounds like great legal strategy is what it sounds like.

Quote:
Like look at it Alfa. Sciascia was the capo, but he was subservient to Vito. All that guy did was arrange narcotics. And a lot of it went to the Gambinos, not the Bonnanos.

The book says he was subservient to Vito. That's a claim I don't see proof for. And if Sciascia was buying narcotics for the Gambinos...he was using their money, not his. These people were just messengers.

Quote:
Now after they killed George, Vito was pissed. Sciascia was described as his underboss.

Yes, described as his underboss...only by the book. Remember, before George was whacked, there was no disagreement among any quarter about whether the Canadian crew was subservient to the Bonannos or not. Therefore there is no way, under a Bonanno administration, that George could be Underboss to Vito, or even that Vito could be a real boss. Vito was only a boss in Canada and only after George was out of the picture. I'm thinking a boss like Scarfo, Stanfa, or any other small family that answers to a full fledged member of the Commission.

Quote:
That's when the so called severing of ties happened.

For me to buy that, I'd need to be convinced that Vito Rizzuto pulled a Galante and seized the Canadian pipeline all for himself, as well as the business contacts of the Bonannos that were sending "weight" into Canada for Vito to reroute into the States. I just can't buy it. Ties could not have actually been severed.

Quote:
Now Sonny said in another post that Montagna a was used as a messenger to Montreal by the Bonnanos

No disrespect to Montagna, but I don't really see where he fits in at all. Maybe I just haven't read that far? smile

Quote:
Power, is power. Vito was no satellite boss. What kinda satellite operates all over the world?

You said it yourself...BEFORE Sciascia was hit, Vito was this big gigantic boss and Sciascia was his number two. But the book says that up until George was whacked, envelopes were going down to NY from Canada. Vito was paying tribute. Yes, he was.

Why would he? Because he had like 19 made men, versus what? 150? Fughettabouttit lol

Quote:
Scarfo was picked to be boss, right. Well Massino sent his UNDERBOSS, TO ASK, THE GUY IF HE WANTED CAPO? Lol let me show you how it works IF YOU HAVE THE POWER. Joe Bonnano sent HIS guy, ( not like, you get all the way up there and be like, hey, would you like to be capo?) he sent Galante to tell em how it was.

The book says Massino was upset about that. Supposedly he said something like "you shouldn't have asked. You should have told him he was capo."

Quote:
Joe Bonnano had connects in Sicily. Joe Bonnano was at the 57 Palermo meeting. Joe Bonnano could reach out to relatives on the other side to access the opium fields. Massino couldn't do any of this. There are no poppy fields in NY. There are no cocoa plantations in NY. The way you ignore the Sicilian component and make it all about NY baffles me.

Joe Bonanno wasn't the only Sicilian. The book goes deep into Agrigento, specifically, Cattolica Eraclea. Guess who else's family came from Agrigento? That's right, Sonny Red and Whack Whack. And Whack Whack plus Tommy Karate went with a third individual up to Canada once, on Massino's behalf, to line those people up. Look, Joe Bonanno had the Sicilian contacts, but the Commission told him to buzz off. They seized the pipeline....and the contacts. Then he probably tried to get back in through Galante. Old story. Long story short, many people had blood ties on the other side of the Atlantic, not only Joe Bonanno or Vito Rizzuto.

Quote:
Couple thing here, what was this contact, and with who? There is no Sal Catalano at this point I believe, who was in charge of distributing all the dope.?

Not sure what you're asking here.

Quote:
Also, I mean it's kinda funny you say Vito was just a shooter, cause Massino was there too.

Massino was observed in a supervisory role. Supposedly he was the only one left in the room with the victims after the shooting stopped and the killers lammed it. He wanted to make sure his opponents were truly vanquished. At that time he was probably the strongest capo, and the voice of Rusty.

Quote:
It's like fat ass Big Trinchera being at the Galante hit.

lol stop it!

Quote:
You gotta understand mafia politics. Vito did that hit to make his bones, he HAD TOO DO THAT HIT TO HAVE RESPECT. And it had to be Sicilians in on it. That has nothing to do with anything....

Vito had to jump his ass out that closet or Massino would have had him whacked. That's the real politics of it.

Quote:
I think you misunderstand Vito's methodology. He never bought a bulk of dope, and like "hoped " it got sold. No, he imported, only after a certain amount of orders came in, so the stuff was sold already.

Vito didn't own anything. He didn't own the buying or the selling. He was just a smuggler who was paid a percentage of every deal that successfully completed. The book makes it clear, in one particular paragraph, that Vito never actually used his own money. However it worked out, whether he was importing on credit or whatever, it wasn't his dope he was bringing into the Canadian harbor and moving into the United States. It belonged to Bonanno Enterprises International, a much bigger corporation than he. The right word to use to describe Vito and his role is importer. The book puts it like this...

"Vito never put a dime of his own money into a deal. It was always somebody else's money but he would end up with 60 percent of the product."

Now if you are your own boss, you are using your own money. Period.

Quote:
The entire drug trade operates on credit and trust. The Caruanas got a 5000 kilo load of coke seized, no way it was all the way paid for.

Of course not. But the Caruana and C[unt]rera mafia families were independent middlemen. Alfonso Caruana was no Satellite. They used their own financing to move contraband from say South America up into probably Canada. They were owners. They were not being paid a percentage of what they could move for someone else. They bought on one end, owned, and then sold what was owned on the other. All of the major Cosa Nostra families of the United States were customers. Whoever could afford to pay was allowed to buy.

Quote:
I've read about the Flores brothers in Chicago, moving 2000 kilos a month, they never paid up front, lol who does that at that level?

No one. It would be very foolish to have both money and contraband in the same room exchanging hands at the same moment, like in a movie. Very foolish. Foolish for far too many reasons to enumerate.

Quote:
When you say it was Bonnano money, I feel like you just kinda made that up.

When you really sit down and question just what the financial relationship between the Canadian crew and the Bonanno family was, back when the Canada crew was inarguably just a satellite, you really can't come to any other conclusion. A soldier is not buying from foreign exporters with his own money and then selling to HIS bosses. He is kicking up, period. If I'm your boss, I am not buying from you. You are selling for me. All profit you make is already mine. You pay tax. So after I buy from you and you make a profit, you gotta pay me tribute out of your cut? How does that work?

Quote:
Cause there are whole chapters on the Agrigento mafia in the 50s, and how Guiseppe Settecasi was partners withLucky Luciano. And the Manno family he married into. But you don't connect the Rizzutos connection to Sicily, and their home town of Agrigento at all, only the NY Bonnanos.

Many came from Agrigento. Sonny Red, Whack whack, etc. That doesn't make you automatically a boss.

Quote:
The Caruanas have been trafficking since the 50s, they control ALL THE MONEY FOR THE INTERNATIONAL ITALIAN DRUG TRADE, or a big percentage of it. Yet you are convinced the money came from Bonnanos like, Sonny Red? Or who? The BOSS of the family, Rastelli was in prison and wasn't nearly that rich.

I read somewhere that the Caruana C[untrera mafias supplied USA mafia families. The Colombians were the producers. The Caruana C[untreras were wholesalers. The mafia families of the USA, imported and distributed down to the retailers. Vito was a high level smuggler that assisted in importation. High level only because he never touched the stuff. Where did the Bonannos get the money to finance someone like Vito Rizzuto's importation operation? Construction? Unions? Gambling? Everyone in the family kicked up to Rastelli...therefore he had plenty of money to invest.

Quote:
If the three capos PAID for dope, there would have been no hits. Why would they kill em?

The book gives an anticlimactic explanation actually. It says that someone found out the three capos would be armed for a meeting. That is supposedly when after Massino found out, he went to the Commission for permission. But the weapons were for self defense. Massino made it sound like they had to defend themselves with a preemptive strike against guys who were only arming themselves out of caution. We can only speculate. It could have been fear or greed. Maybe they thought they could vote in a new Boss and replace Rastelli if they had a majority of the Capos voting in their favor. Does any commentary anywhere definitively say if the 3 capos stopped paying tribute? If they were paying tribute, then their rebellion was purely an academic exercise. In such a case that kind of rebellion is like illegally calling a vote for a new boss...which is a far cry from an armed uprising. Now if they stopped paying trubute to a Commission certified boss, there's no more questions left to ask about why they were hit.

Quote:

It's like when you say the Bonnanos had the contacts. To the Irish West End gang? For hash going to Europe? Nah, can't see it. To the Big Circle boys?
And Lebanese suppliers? I've never HEARD the five families having ANY big link with the Colombian cartels like that, especially in the 80- 90s, Cali was operating in NY then. They didn't need the LCN, and would have been competing with themselves.

Whatever Vito did on his own, he had to pay tax on it. And the Caruana C[untreras were the link between the Five Fmilies and Colombia.

"For us, rubbin'out a Mustache was just like makin' way for a new building, like we was in the construction business."