The Claw is not broke, it is an old ploy. Toms River is hardly ever mentioned when talking about Colombo family in New Jersey, however, the guy in Holmdel is mentioned a lot but he is definitely retired, but his son seems to have an active role in some family businesses in the states and abroad.
Dennis DeLuca is a good bet, and the reason I say that is he is a great earner in the family, did not backdown from supporting his lesbian daughter, during sit downs, he is fair even if it means the Colombo family losses some money in it, he sticks up for his soldiers until there is strong evidence that the guy did some wrong.
Joe is another one to think about, due how close he is to the Bonanno, Gambino and Lucchese crime families, plus his dealings with the Genovese family.
I did not mention Billy Russo cause he is related to the Persicos, and if you continue to look at that family most of the time, you tend to overlook other mobsters in the family who have high caliber in leadership positions. Billy Russo has a strong chance of running the Colombo family one day.

"I have this Nightmare. I'm on 5th avenue watching the St. Patrick's Day parade and I have a coronary and nine thousand cops march happily over my body." Chief Sidney Green