For the past six months I've been lucky enough to help take care of 3 of my parents' closest friends. They are all in their seventies. One has pulmonary fibrosis, another has the West Nile Virus, and another pancreatic cancer.

Out of all three I'd have to say that the West Nile Virus has to be the worst. He and his 45 year tri-athlete neighbor were both bit by a mosquito back in August of 2015. Both were paralyzed but she started recovering in January 2016, while our friend did not. Years back, he was diagnosed with an immune disorder but it was extremely mild so he did not need any meds. However, because his immune system was slightly compromised, he would be affected by the West Nile Virus differently than a healthy person would.

He needs a feeding tube, cannot speak, cannot sit up, he may never walk again. He can barely move his fingertips. The physical therapist and speech therapist have their work cut out for them. When I go see him, he lights up and tries to talk to me, mouths words. It is very painful for me to watch this man who I've known since I've been five suffer like this. His wife has her own set of health problems so she cannot help him much. He needs 24 hr care and it costs them a fortune. (She has great stories of years 1940's + of what was going on in Fort Lee area. I've learned some interesting things about OC. They're Jersey transplants)

The next good friend who has pulmonary fibrosis is refined to a scooter and needs oxygen. She is getting progressively worse. Her husband enjoys company because he's bored out of his mind staying home all the time. He and my Dad were good pals. I was driving and something made me go over to his house even though I just visited a week or so ago. I rang the bell, he answered and it looked like he saw a ghost. He said madonna I was just thinking about you this second and here you are. That was weird. They needed help with something and I miracuralously had the exact number they needed to call. It was really strange.

Last but not least, is my Mom's very good friend who has cancer. She has a TPN bag which is a nutrient bag that is hooked up to her port which gives her nourishment because of her trouble keeping food down. I brought her some pizzelle because she enjoys those. She still has energy. And most importantly, she has NO pain!! Luckily, her granddaughter came out to help her Grandpa take care of her. They also use hospice care.

To end on a happy note. All of these friends of my parents have brought up their children who are around my age, to become successful, wonderful adults. That must make them feel very proud!! smile