Originally Posted By: Sonny_Black
Originally Posted By: Alfa Romeo
I know this next question could be a new thread, but I need to ask it:

How were the Bonannos inducting Sicilian mafia men? Some say that a man of honor can only have one allegiance. That might be true, but I don't think it was/is that simple. Bonventre and Amato were both Castellammarese. Then they swore allegiance to the Castellammarese clan in NY, aka the Bonannos. What it looks like at first glance, and I know this sounds crazy, but what it looks like is that Joe Bonanno merged his family into the Sicilian mafia. Maybe Carlo [Gambino] did also. How else to resolve the divided loyalty question?

Simple. They weren't made before coming to America and so free to be inducted into the Bonannos.

That would certainly have to be the case. I considered that. It just seems like there is something more going on there, a merger of sorts. Just wanted to mention that.

Here's another thing. The Zips were in many cases....illegal aliens. They were brought in to move contraband for the bosses back in Europe and in New York. Their deportation was anticipated. Therefore, why make them Bonanno men? What you end up with is a bunch of Bonanno soldiers, and in some cases captains, deported to Italy. When there, they join back up with the mafia there. It had to be anticipated, that they'd eventually be deported and have to answer to a Sicilian, not the New York Bonannos. It's like one organization, one family.

Joe Bonanno I believe was present when the meeting was called to form the Cupola. Could he have been a member is all I am saying. I know no one really knows, so I won't keep going on about it.

"For us, rubbin'out a Mustache was just like makin' way for a new building, like we was in the construction business."