I used the word surrender because some people are satisfied with the status quo of having continued trade deficits & having jobs go abroad.
I'd rather pay more for products and have a job; as opposed to not having a job and pay less for products at Walmart for example.
The word force was not used in my statement nor intended, I believe it was misinterpreted.In other words if China does not want to negotiate for a fairer trade deal and refuses to comply, I do not see why the US should give in to them. If they walk away from the talks China will have more to lose than the US and will suffer for this action.What I meant by a one way perception is that some are afraid to challenge China for fear of retaliation; they don't see that China stands to lose as well. I don't believe they will walk away.
With regards to issues, there could very be some; but the job of the president is to be a leader and promote his/her platform agenda to the people. This is what elections are for and it also depends how much support the president will get from both houses. Some presidents are very good communicators and can persuade public opinion for example JFK, Reagan and Clinton.