@Cabrini, I'll definitely be reading 6th Family. How could I resist?

I get the idea that Galante may have been merely tolerated, because somehow he kept his business networks exclusive. Tolerated until his business networks could be stolen out from underneath him. But I still am not quite buying the idea he was profiting from his H pipeline all by himself. That's as bad as declaring yourself Capo Dei Capi. Is there any record that Lilo Galante demanded all bosses pay him tribute? And let's face it, if he was actually bucking the entire Commission, he might as well demanded tribute from them too. I'm not buying it. His narcotics ambitions are directly at odds with the purported suicide mission he was supposed on to buck the entire Commission.

I know this is an unscientific thing to say: but I am going to suspect treachery and duplicity on Funzi Tieri's part until he is proven innocent.

Let me add this: For Galante to try and disrupt the order that was the Commission before he took over the Bonannos meant that he had to have strong backing he could trust in. The Bonnanos were/are one of the smaller families. So are the Luccheses and Colombos. Backing from those families would have meant little. Carmine had to have been falsely assured that he was backed by either 1. Paul Castellano (who in the words of Sal Gravano was a "massive guy with massive connections", someone connected to Sicilian mafia) or 2. Funzi Tieri. I doubt it was Paul because Paul had his own zip connections and obviously they differed from the zips who assisted Galante, or so it seems. Paul's zips just could not have been Galante's zips. The Sicilian mafia families connected to Paul could not have been the same clans assisting Galante.

Even look at who whacked the Cigar, or who was was accused of whacking him. Bonannos, Bonannos being congratulated in front of the Ravenite by Gambinos. Where is the Genovese (Tieri) presence?

"For us, rubbin'out a Mustache was just like makin' way for a new building, like we was in the construction business."