Very interesting, TD. I've often wondered way the Outfit Bosses tolerated these high profile "wars" for so long. Obviously they were make lots of money and the guys at the top were taking very few risks.

The part where you mentioned about handing down orders from 1, 2, 3, etc. I think it's very safe to say that Accardo, Aiuppa, Alex, and probably Cerone, were so insulated that it was unlikely anything would ever be traced back to them. Another example of how these guys developed a system, whether intentional or not, that protected the guys at the top.

Another good point was the piece about narcotics. Apparently dealing in drugs was pretty wide-spread within the Outfit. The only problem was if you got caught. I think the old-timers were against drug dealing, but certainly enjoyed the money. Getting caught was probably a death sentence depending on how well connected you were. But still a risky business.

The story about Catuara has been around for some time. I tend to believe something transpired that let him know it was time to retire. He was old school and never cooperated with the gov't, so he may have been given an opportunity to gracefully "get out." Who knows ?

A fellow forum member said it was likely that only a few people in the Outfit knew who was calling the shots at any given time. I tend to believe that is likely true. Even today I bet most people would not bet their savings or their home on who is calling the shots. These guys have learned to keep a low profile not be too flamboyant. Looks like it's working.