Originally Posted By: CabriniGreen
@IveyAhh,okay I get you. I also appreciate you understanding, I'm not attacking you or trying to antagonize. Honestly the vibe I get from you on Detroit is like, a frustrated college professor who's tired of answering the same questions from the student that never pays attention, lol.

That's a good way to put it.

Quote:
I also didn't initially understand the Scott thing. I really didn't, I guess he wants to be the Detroit version of Jerry Capeci? Is that what the angle is there?

Really the only disagreement I've had with Scott - and this goes back some years on another forum - is his charts and how he's generally presented the state of the Detroit mob. But even while disagreeing, I've said many times that he's provided a lot of good information about Detroit otherwise. It's where he started before branching out with his Leonetti book (his best work in my opinion) and his blog where he writes about several families.

Originally Posted By: mikeyballs211

@ivy the point you're missing about Detroit is that when you look at their history going back to Zerilli and then Tocco they have always been a low key successful family with very few major busts and one made member thats ever cooperated. With that being said if there weren't many busts at all or very few major busts that you would classify as such at a time when the FBI had OC as their main focus nationwide, then now when they have clearly shifted focus to Terrorism that would serve as somewhat of an explanation for why their havent been any busts?

Look i for one respect your knowledge as ive said before, but when you debate with someone that refuses to concede anything it comes off as elitest and ignorant and i dont think that would accurately describe you. I agree that mob prosecutions are a good tell tale indicator of activity of a family, but you have to concede Detroit may very well be an exception for a few reasons 1) they are the most intermarried connected family in the country and that means something .. The feds cant make cases as easily when no one is talking 2) going off that first point, theyve had 1 made guy flip in over a century of mob activity.. That fact has to resonate that maybe just maybe thats why there isnt as many major busts 3) the city of Detroit is a mess and the law enforcement there is rightly focused on the black and latino gangs that have ruined that city not the italians 4) the fbi there is largely concerned with domestic terrorism in that Michigan and one town specifically im blanking on the name has the largest muslim population in the country, and they are heavily monitoring that group for terrorism ( i dont have the washington post article handy but im positive ive read this fact)

I know ive made this argument before , but its insanely frustrating when you are the only one who will not concede anything and acknowledge that maybe they are a strong viable family relative to their history ..no ones saying they're on par with thre Westside...i mean theyve never had more than what 80 made guys? And i dont contend they have that now, but to me 50+ isn't a stretch. Remember id say 95% of the major mob busts that you use as ur bench mark for how families are functioning involved informants and made guys flipping... And Detroit has had 1 ever and i don't think ive read theyve had many associates flip. I mean you have to at least concede that, the feds have alotta trouble making cases when theres no informants and detroit hasnt had any, maybe in the future they will...and again im from Philly i could give a shit about the Detroit mafia im not some fan boy about criminals, but if the purpose of this site is to discuss the mafia, it would behoove you to consider the opposing side and admit the possibilities of others arguments.. Doing so doesnt make you any less of a mob expert, it just makes you seem less like a know it all

I could concede all the explanations you made above for the relative lack of cases but I'm not sure how much it really changes.

In other words, even if I were to add Detroit to the list of remaining families, I still see little evidence (other than Scott) of an overly hierarchical family (as shown in his charts) with 40, 50, or more members, that is criminally diversified and operates far and wide in and beyond Detroit. Because that's the picture that's been presented.

Do I think there is some semblance of an organized structure in Detroit? Yes. Do I think it includes a boss, street boss, underboss, consigliere, a few "counselor emeritus," 4-6 captains or acting captains, in addition to the soldiers? No. Do I take Scott's membership figures and charts at face value? No. Why not? Because they fluctuated over several years, ranging anywhere from 30 to nearly 60 members. And only later on, and after many debates, did he say that not all the names he listed were necessarily made members.

Do I think 50 members for Detroit is a stretch? Absolutely. That would make it similar in size to New Jersey, New England, or Philadelphia which all have larger Italian-American populations. Furthermore, as I've pointed out about a bazillion times now, the feds had the family at 30 members at most 20 years ago. 20 years for crying out loud! Am I supposed to believe Detroit has somehow bucked the general trend over the last two decades and actually grown in size? Especially when many of its members have died over that time and even Scott hasn't said there's actually been any recent making ceremonies. And speaking of Scott, even he had the family at 25 members in his 2006 book.

Even if I consider the family to still be active, does that mean there's any evidence it's very diversified? Not much at all. It's mainly a bookmaking operation with some loansharking and card games. And, yes, you could say that about other families. Involvement in the drug trade is basically non-existent. There really isn't any labor racketeering activity to speak of. Even before LaPiana sold his company. There are certainly many who have legitimate interests, some well off financially. That's what the Detroit mob is today - a gambling operation with interests in legitimate businesses as well. That's not an insult, just a statement of fact.

And does this operation extend to any significant degree beyond Detroit? Specifically the eastern suburbs? No. I see no evidence of it having an active San Diego crew. Nothing really to speak of in Chicago or Canada. Maybe a few old retirees living in Florida. It's very limited in scope, as are most of the remaining mob families now.

Originally Posted By: Blackjack2121
Yeah, I do agree with your point of Detroit never had busts left and right like the NYC families. And that seems to be Ivy's point of contention as to why he considers them basically dead or inactive. Rats make most of the cases in NY (ie: Merlino and Patsy bust most recently) and Detroit only had Nove turn. But really we should just end the debate its the same people and their view wont change so I wish we could discuss things about Detroit other than. They got 75 members! Abd growing!...Or....the family is dead! Jackie is just a business man and the 10 soldiers they have are all inactive!

I mean, come on!

Read what I posted above in regards to me thinking they're dead or inactive.

Originally Posted By: Louiebynochi
Detroit Family of the La Cosa Nostra (LCN) an extremely active criminal enterprise consisting of approximately 30 "made members" and between 200 and 300 associates. Detroit LCN members are tightly bound through blood and marriage, making the organization extremely difficult to penetrate. Traditionally, this family has been involved in illegal gambling, loan sharking, money laundering, drug trafficking, and the infiltration of legitimate businesses. They have also maintained a strong relationship with Sicilian Mafia members operating in the Detroit area.
------FROM THE FBI WEBSITE

That FBI website article, which has been up for years, is in reference to the family at the time of the 1996 GamTax bust and before.

Quote:
Almost everyone important in the crime family is related by blood or marriage in some way to almost everyone else of any significance and this makes the organization extremely difficult to penetrate,” retired Detroit FBI agent Mike Carone notes. “For an outsider, whether in law enforcement or not, to get real close to these guys is practically impossible.
------FBI AGENT

Nobody is arguing otherwise. But that can't be used as a blanket excuse to put forth unrealistic images of the current size, activity, and scope of the Detroit mob.

Quote:
To paraphrase Mark Twain, the reports of their demise have been much overstated,” Corbett said. “The current leaders, guys like Jack Tocco, may be on the way out due to age, but there is a younger generation coming up behind them ready, willing and able to take the reins. From its inception, this organization was built for the long haul and it will continue to sustain. I don’t think we’ll be talking about the eradication of the mafia in Detroit for quite a while.”-------KEITH CORBETT HEAD OF DETROIT OC SQUAD 1990-2004

And so we see some in law enforcement still consider the family viable. Some OC experts apparently don't include it. But even if there's technically still an existing family, that doesn't mean the organization you believe it to be is reality.

Quote:
NEW MEMBERS HAVE REPLACED THE OLD,KEEPING THE DETROITS MOB SIZE AT 30------FBI 2001

15 years ago now, with several members having died since them and no verification of new ceremonies. And that 2001 article, which I was already aware of, is the last time you'll see 30 members cited.

Quote:
"They're cloaking themselves in Legitament business,now more than ever. But I'm not saying they're doing Legitament business"--FBI 2009

And?

Last edited by IvyLeague; 09/13/16 03:15 AM.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.