M2W,

I came into this discussion late, but I agree with what you wrote about Nigerian OC not currently being one of the largest CO and why.

They don't grow or control the manufacturing of the big consumer drugs, and that there are CO groups decades or centuries older than them in the European countries that they operate in. Doesn't add up that they would supplant these groups.

Also, there doesn't exist a large enough demand on the continent of Africa for the consumer drugs that would generate enough money to boost profile or power of Nigerian groups.The demand is in US and Europe.

Nigeria is a hub for the movement of drugs. The country is by all accounts one of the most politically corrupt places on earth. Groups moving drugs/or contraband through the ports there will encounter little resistance or problems with law enforcement. That's an advantage that Nigerian groups have over other groups. 95% or more of the cargo will go through with no problems....not even token efforts by L.E.

This factor and others seem to indicate the pivotal role that Nigerian groups play in the drug trade. Everything I've read points to them becoming bigger players in drugs and other crimes in the future.