Originally Posted By: OakAsFan
Well said, Binnie.

When you take away all of the productive things for at risk children to do after school, the streets become the only option. The public high school that I went to was pretty much open every day from 6am to 7 or 8 at night. There was always something going on. Visual and Performing Arts Center (VAPAC...our school had a radio station), the library, academic and social clubs, sports practices/games, the basketball gym, which was open to the public on weekends, just to name a few. Our school was a safe place in the neighborhood. Now they whittle away at aftershool programs until the schools become ghost towns in the late afternoon, which is a pivotal time of day for a lot of teenagers.

yes, great post oak, now, when I was in high school [56-60]

you could get in a trade uhion [if you were white] plumbers, electrians. carpenters. etc. and good wage, benefits.
now the construction unions are almost extinct.. many more "right to work law states" now,

so, what options does a young guy have? college cost money, student loans put you in debt forever, so, he flips burgers, or
some other 'DEAD END JOB'
what if could learn to machine metal, machine wood,
learn skills, welding, auto body, auto mechanic, diesel mechanic, not out of a book, but hands on expierence.

if we can waste billions on wars, we can do this, but the
commitment is not to young people, but wars, and wall street.

" watch what you say around this guy, he's got a big mouth" sam giancana to an outfit soldier about frank Sinatra. [ from the book "my way"