Originally Posted By: getthesenets

It does highlight a point that if often loss on American workers, to Big Business labor is just a cost. If the cost can be lowered, you are expendable.

Absolutely. And in the interests of full disclosure, my industry and I are an excellent example, so I bear some guilt in all this. Not the visas, but the cost of labor and it's expendability.

When I began my career about 25 years ago about 85% of the total goods made in my industry were produced in the US and 15% were made overseas. The numbers are now reversed,but slightly worse, say 93% overseas and 7% US.

Why? Because even with the costs of shipping merchandise from China/India/Pakistan to the US I can still make a bigger margin by manufacturing overseas and bringing it here than I could making it here. The cost of labor is the biggest factor in that calculation.

Last edited by helenwheels; 08/15/16 09:17 PM.

All God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

I never met anyone who didn't have a very smart child. What happens to these children, you wonder, when they reach adulthood?